How to Convert a Mini Fridge Into a Kegerator
If you’re a beer enthusiast or love hosting parties, having a kegerator is a great addition to your home. A kegerator allows you to store and dispense draft beer from a keg, ensuring that you and your guests always have a cold brew on tap. While purchasing a ready-made kegerator can be expensive, you can easily convert a mini fridge into a kegerator with a few simple steps. Here’s how you can do it:
1. Select the right mini fridge: Start by picking a mini fridge that can accommodate the size of the keg you want to use. Ensure that the fridge has enough interior space to accommodate the keg, as well as any additional equipment such as CO2 tanks and regulators.
2. Remove the shelves: Clear out the interior of the mini fridge by removing any shelves or drawers that might obstruct the keg. This will ensure that the keg fits snugly inside the fridge.
3. Create a hole for the tap tower: Decide where you want the tap tower to be installed on the top of the fridge. Use a hole saw or a drill with a large bit to create a hole for the tap tower to pass through. Make sure the hole is wide enough to accommodate the tap tower sleeve.
4. Install the tap tower: Insert the tap tower through the hole you created and secure it in place with the provided hardware. Ensure that it is tightly attached to the top of the fridge to prevent any leaks.
5. Set up the CO2 system: Connect the CO2 tank to the regulator and attach the regulator to the keg. The CO2 tank will provide the pressure needed to dispense the beer. Ensure that all connections are secure and leak-free.
6. Adjust the temperature: Most mini fridges have a temperature control dial. Set the temperature to a range between 36-40 degrees Fahrenheit, which is the ideal temperature for storing beer.
7. Place the keg inside: Carefully slide the keg into the mini fridge, ensuring that it is in an upright position. Check that there is enough clearance for the tap handle and that the keg is securely positioned.
Now that your mini fridge has been converted into a kegerator, you can start enjoying your favorite draft beer at home. Remember to clean the tap lines regularly to maintain the quality and taste of your beer.
7 FAQs about Converting a Mini Fridge Into a Kegerator:
1. Can any mini fridge be converted into a kegerator?
Not all mini fridges are suitable for conversion. Ensure that the fridge has enough space to accommodate the keg and additional equipment.
2. Can I use any keg with a mini fridge kegerator?
Mini fridges have size limitations, so you need to select a keg that fits within the fridge’s dimensions.
3. How do I control the carbonation level?
Carbonation is controlled by the pressure from the CO2 tank. Adjust the pressure on the regulator to achieve the desired carbonation level.
4. Can I convert a freezer into a kegerator?
Yes, but keep in mind that freezers are designed to freeze, so you will need to install a temperature controller to maintain the proper temperature for storing beer.
5. How often should I clean the tap lines?
It is recommended to clean the tap lines every three to four weeks to prevent any build-up of bacteria or yeast that can affect the taste of the beer.
6. Can I install multiple tap towers on a mini fridge kegerator?
It is possible to install multiple tap towers if your mini fridge has enough space. However, keep in mind that each additional tap tower will require more CO2 and maintenance.
7. Can I convert a mini fridge back into a regular fridge?
Yes, the conversion process is reversible. Simply remove the tap tower, reconnect any removed shelves, and adjust the temperature control to the desired setting.
Converting a mini fridge into a kegerator is a fun and cost-effective way to have draft beer on tap at home. With the right equipment and a little bit of effort, you can enjoy the convenience of a kegerator without breaking the bank. Cheers!