Where to Fly Into for Punta Mita
Punta Mita, located on the beautiful Pacific coast of Mexico, is a popular destination known for its stunning beaches, luxurious resorts, and world-class golf courses. If you’re planning a trip to Punta Mita, one of the first things you need to consider is where to fly into. Here are some options to help you make the best choice for your travel needs.
1. Licenciado Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport (PVR) – Located in Puerto Vallarta, this is the closest airport to Punta Mita, just a 45-minute drive away. PVR is well-connected to major cities in the United States, Canada, and Mexico, making it a convenient choice for international travelers.
2. Tepic International Airport (TPQ) – Situated in the capital city of the Nayarit state, Tepic International Airport is approximately a 1.5-hour drive from Punta Mita. While it may not have as many direct flight options as PVR, TPQ can be a good alternative for those who prefer a smaller and less crowded airport.
3. Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla International Airport (GDL) – Located in Guadalajara, this airport is about a 3.5-hour drive from Punta Mita. GDL offers a wide range of international and domestic flights, making it a viable option for travelers who want to explore Guadalajara before heading to Punta Mita.
4. Mexico City International Airport (MEX) – For those who want to combine a visit to Mexico City with a trip to Punta Mita, flying into MEX might be a good choice. While it is the furthest option, with a flight duration of about 1.5 hours to PVR or TPQ, it allows you to experience the vibrant capital city before heading to the beach.
Now, let’s address some frequently asked questions about flying into Punta Mita:
1. Are there direct flights to Punta Mita?
No, Punta Mita does not have its own airport. The closest airports are PVR, TPQ, GDL, and MEX, all of which offer connecting flights to Punta Mita.
2. How do I get from the airport to Punta Mita?
There are several transportation options available, including private transfers, shared shuttles, taxis, and rental cars. Many resorts also offer airport transfer services, so it’s worth checking with your accommodation.
3. Is there public transportation from the airport to Punta Mita?
While public transportation options exist, they may not be as convenient as other modes of transportation. It is advisable to arrange for a private transfer or shuttle for a stress-free journey.
4. Are there any airlines that fly directly to PVR from my city?
Several major airlines, including American Airlines, Delta, United, and Air Canada, offer direct flights to PVR from various cities in the US and Canada. It’s best to check with your preferred airline for specific routes and schedules.
5. Is it necessary to rent a car in Punta Mita?
Renting a car is not essential in Punta Mita, as most resorts offer transportation services for day trips and local excursions. However, if you plan to explore the surrounding areas independently, renting a car can provide more flexibility.
6. Can I fly into Punta Mita from Europe?
While there are no direct flights from Europe to Punta Mita, you can easily connect through major cities in the United States or Mexico, such as New York, Los Angeles, or Mexico City.
7. What is the best time to fly into Punta Mita?
The high season in Punta Mita is from November to April when the weather is pleasant and sunny. However, flight prices may be higher during this period. If you’re looking for more affordable options, consider traveling during the shoulder seasons of May to June or September to October.
In conclusion, there are several airports to choose from when flying into Punta Mita, depending on your preferences and travel plans. Whether you opt for the convenience of PVR, the tranquility of TPQ, the cultural experience of GDL, or the combination of MEX and Mexico City, Punta Mita’s paradise awaits you.